"What's your favorite meal, and how often do you eat it?"
The answer, of course, is Thanksgiving Dinner. I know this. Because I'm a good husband. Perhaps more appropriately, because this is something my very passionate wife is particular passionate about. She loves Thanksgiving Dinner, and she only gets to eat it twice a year. Thanksgiving and Christmas. After 25 years of her gushing about it, her family can just about recite along with her when she gets going about how much she loves Thanksgiving. After four years, I've almost got it down pat myself.
I am driving home after work, on the phone with Stephanie. Yesterday, we made a pact to talk less about our work and less about our every day lives and more about everything else. So as I make the 25-minute journey home, I pull out a book of questions that Steph bought months ago that never made it out of my Xterra. Hundreds of questions that spark conversation and debate and, for Stephanie and I, laughter and the sense of pride you get from knowing about your mate. We cover meals and movies and colors and the trip home goes much faster than it usually does.
Once home, I have only about ten minutes to eat a snack and change into my softball jersey. I have a game at 6:30, and it's already 5:45. I make my way in from the garage, find Stephanie and kiss her on the forehead, and jog upstairs to pee and change into my softball clothes. For some reason, I decide to use the bathroom off of our bedroom (I refuse to call it master). I normally use the one off the hall. It's closer, and it's MINE. But today, I choose to use Stephanie's bathroom, and as I enter, I immediately see two pregnancy tests next to the sink.
I stare at them.
It's a surreal moment. Those two tests, just sitting there. Like that pile of money you could be saving by switching to Geico. I'm not sure what song from the 1980s belongs in the background for THIS, but the situation certainly calls for something. I am frozen in the doorway.
I hear movement behind me, and Stephanie walks into the bathroom with a sheepish grin. I haven't checked the tests. There is no need to. Their presence signifies their conclusion.
My wife is pregnant.
I am going to be a father.
And this is my story.
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment